Thursday, September 9, 2010

Disorders

I have a fairly strong opinion on some things that I really don't agree with. One of these is the concept of psychological disorders. There's a lot of them: Bipolar Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder... The list is fairly lengthy. That is part of the problem.

I've had a lot of good friends who have very interesting personalities. Several are diagnosed with different "disorders" such as those I listed above. Besides my friends, I have thought about what other disorders some of the people I have met possibly have. In fact, there's not a whole lot of people who I would say don't have some sort of a disorder that might affect them. This bothers me.

Disorders are supposed to be something that makes people different from others and affects them in ways that are not normal. However, it has come to the point where this no longer seems true. There's a lot of people that supposedly have some kind of disorder. I would say there are enough people who have one that it's not even accurate to call it a disorder. When so many people are affected by these, can it really be called a disorder? Nearly every person can qualify as having one. In my opinion, they shouldn't be called by this name at all, since it makes people feel like they are different than everybody else, when they are not really much different than the hordes of people out there who also have some type of disorder. Psychological disorders have become the norm for average people, so it's time that title be done away with, and they should simply be seen as elements of personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment