Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Friendly Wagers

I'm apparently not very good at gambling.

Last semester, my roommate Cole and I had a disagreement on a football game between the University of Utah and San Diego State. I really thought SDSU would win that one. However, I wasn't sure, so to convince me he gave me 2:1 odds. If I won, he'd give me six Krispy Kreme donuts, while I only had to pay up three if he won. So, without knowing what I was starting, I took the bet and lost.

Within a little while after, I still hadn't given the donuts, and we had another disagreement between who would win a game between the Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers. So, I put another 3 donuts on the line. If I won, I would no longer owe him anything but, if I lost, I would then owe him three in addition the the three I already owed. Of course, I lost again, and then I owed him half a dozen. It took some time for me to get them, but I eventually did, and was finally free of this debt...though I may have doubled it again if he agreed. Maybe I should have stopped there.

That didn't happen. Now, I'm a big Nuggets fan and Cole likes the Jazz. During one week when there was a game between the two, we made a wager for five dollars worth of Wendy's food to whoever's team won. I agreed to it, and hoped to win this time... which didn't happen. We went to get the food that night.

There has been one more bet since then. We made a bet at the end of one of the Nuggets games. This time, I either had to take out the trash or he had to drink three raw eggs. And I won! I felt kind of bad about Cole drinking raw eggs because of me, and it's probably not great for me to have reinforcement to keep these wagers going, but I did win one. The score is 3-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment