Thursday, November 15, 2012

Blue Wizard of Oz

Sometimes, I use this blog to post about my annoyances. Tonight, I definitely had one.

I went into the rec room at about 10 to watch the second half of the Denver Nuggets game. Seemed like it would be a good idea. When I walked in, the TV on the bottom floor was occupied, but there was still the one on the balcony. So, sure, why not, I'll just go watch that one. On my way up, I look at the TV, and I see that the people are watching a comedic version of Wizard of Oz where everybody has blue skin. That was okay, I thought, maybe I'd be able to overhear it and catch a few laughs during the game.

Well no, to my unfortunate realization, this version of Wizard of Oz they were watching was done in complete seriousness. I was astonished to think anybody would even THINK of making this version of the play into reality.

 For the next hour and a half, I sat there and endured one of the most miserable performances of a hit musical I think I have ever seen. The fact that they all had blue skin was bad enough, and didn't make any sense. This isn't Smurfs, or Avatar for that matter. And isn't Oz supposed to be a green city, anyway? Awesome choice. Just great.

Then, there were the random musical numbers thrown in haphazardly, which seemed to have nothing to do with the plot. For instance, soon after Dorothy was kidnapped by the witch, I hear this jazzy piece where everybody's happy and dancing all over the stage like they had just won the Lottery of Oz. Then, it's back to the forest where they're fighting the flying monkeys. Somebody tell me that makes sense somehow. Please, I would love to hear how. By the final number, Dorothy's voice was so tired out and out of key that the game was hardly even enjoyable anymore.

Whoever was being made to watch that video must have had a very cute girlfriend. I think that might be the ONLY way I'd end up subjecting myself to that, unless it was between that or death. And even then the choice would be a toughie.

The fact that the Nuggets were losing the whole time made me seriously regret going to watch the game in there. I walked out of the rec room wondering what the world was coming to tonight.

Also, Christmas music playing nonstop on the radio since November 1....... Really?

I love most everything about Provo, but 2 straight months of Christmas music and blue wizard of oz plays being watched in glenwood apartments make me wonder about this town's sanity sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment